Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bowen News Update

The hiatus is over, at least for now.

A little more than a month ago, Amanda and I walked into the Office Depot on the south side of Abilene. She had been given a bunch of looseleaf papers for her job at the Alliance for Women and Children, (She works with one of their after-school care programs) and want to get the papers bound into a spiral. As soon as we stepped through the sliding front doors, we were greeted by a friendly gentleman in his fifties wearing a bright red shirt and a name tag indicating his name was Steve.

"Well hello there, folks, how can I help you?"

We told him about our quest for binding, and he pointed us in the direction of the printing center. But as my wife stepped towards her goal, I tarried behind. I caught Steve's eye and asked, "Y'all wouldn't happen to be hiring, would you?"

His eyes lit up. He informed me that indeed they were short on staff at the moment. He wasn't sure if he could swing a full-time position, but since I was already considering doubling up on part-time work, I went for it. I applied that night from the Kirby's house, and anxiously awaited an answer. Within a few days, I had an interview.

I met back with Steve for the interview, and apparently he liked me, because a few days later I was called in by the big boss, Jake. After a few quick minutes of talking, he offered me the position of delivery driver, and I most graciously accepted.

That was just about a month ago. Since then I've been working 40-50 hours per week, delivering office supplies to Abilene and the surrounding towns. Sometimes my day is simple, mostly in-town deliveries. Other days I spent most of my day traversing the long and semi-scenic roads of West Texas. Either way, I'm employed full-time now, which is a blessing.

I have plenty more updates to come, and I can write them for the blog now that we've got internet at our  house. For now, know that God has been good to our little family, and that we're excited about a new phase of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment