Sunday, August 5, 2012

The End and the Beginning

I just quit my dream job.

Well, maybe it's not quite that simple.

August 4th, 2012 was my final day as Camp Director of Camp of the Hills. To be fair, I let my boss know that I was going to be ready to move on by the end of the 2012 summer sometime in the spring of 2011, so to characterize yesterday as "quitting" might be a tad dramatic. I had been planning how to transition from my time as Camp Director to my successor ever since I first got the job, since that change-over was less than ideal. When I felt like the end of my time was coming, I started preparing the next person's place.

What I didn't realize was that I was not as prepared for my next steps as I believed myself to be. I had believed that with my extensive experience working in ministry and non-profit settings, that I would have a position waiting lined up for after my last summer at camp. I thought that I would have an apartment set up in Abilene, or maybe even a house and a mortgage to which my wife and I would return.

Yet plans have a funny way of falling through sometimes. The non-profits and churches I talked to are not hiring. Amanda and I let our old apartment go at the end of the spring, since we had lodging for the summer at Camp of the Hills and desired to move into a low-income neighborhood in Abilene. After  some disappointments in trying to buy a house and touring a few undesirable apartments, she and I are still without a permanent place to live. We've planned ahead enough to have some financial cushion while I continue the job hunt and our dear friends the Kirbys have offered us room in their house until we find somewhere more permanent, but my life is certainly not what I expected it to be a few short months ago.

And so, here I sit. Typing on the floor, back to a couch in the Kirby's living room. The thirteen years spent at Camp of the Hills are now in the rear view mirror, as are the thirteen before camp. I can clearly see so much that lies behind me, sprawled out over more than a quarter century. Yet the future is unclear. Where will I go? What will I do? What challenges await? How will the ways I've been shaped by my experiences dictate how I meet the future?

More than anything, I look forward to new stories. I live for stories. Stories of what God has done, is doing, or will do. Stories of friends, family, and people I wish I knew. Stories that spark conversation. Stories that matter. My life has been marked with a plethora of great stories; stories that I need to and want to tell. I should get started.

2 comments:

  1. Keep Your head up. The Lord is Awesome! Sometimes we have to spend time in the valleys to truly realize how big God's Mountains of blessing truly are.

    JHawk (Jonathan Hawkins)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, JHawk! Glad you found the blog!

    ReplyDelete