Sunday, September 2, 2012

Linking for Thinking - 9/2/12

Every Sunday, I'll be whittling my reading list down to a few links that I found particularly interesting from the past week. Some may be profound/deep thinking articles or news stories, others may be things that fascinate me or made me laugh. Some will be on issues I already agree with, others will be those that have challenged me to think in new ways. If there's anything you think I'd be interested in, or something you think might be worth sharing in this space, feel free to leave it in the comments section, email me at coth.guy@gmail.com, or hit me up on facebook.

A Head, Heart, or Hands Church? (via David Smith)
I grew up in a church designed for the head. That is not a criticism. It is just a description. We did not trust emotions because they were easily manipulated and clouded thinking. Actions were important and we believed “good works” were essential to faithfulness, but what really mattered was getting your theology straight.

Unclean Touch (from Christianity Today)
There are two or three churches nearby that have no theological issue at all with same-sex marriages: they perform them, celebrate them, welcome those in them. Our church is not one of these churches. We're firmly embedded in our evangelical heritage: a strong emphasis on the Bible, on personal holiness, on evangelism and activism.

Lifehack of the Week
If you need to serve ice cream to several people at once Real Simple magazine's weblog shares that you can save time and your wrist by cutting a cylindrical ice cream carton in half, pulling off the carton, and then cutting each half into several slices.

A Letter on Women's Roles (via Richard Beck)
I've been struggling for some time with how I should best stand up for gender justice in my local church context. A few years ago I made a decision which has recently become known to those in leadership at my church.

No comments:

Post a Comment