Monday, September 3, 2012

Media Monday - A Sunday on La Grande Jatte

Each Monday, this blog will feature a song, video, piece of art, or other type of media that tells part of a story. Sometimes the message will be light and funny, other times it will be deeper and more somber. I may not even fully agree with what is posted. My aim is to present narratives that are worth experiencing, knowing, and discussing.

For today, our media is a little less intense, since last week we got all heavy and deep with thoughts on war and violence. The painting below is "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat in 1884. It's one of my favorite paintings, not because I'm such a connoisseur of art, but because it helps flesh out one of my favorite stories ever put to film. 




If you haven't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I'm deeply disappointed in your life choices to this point. This clip won't spoil the movie for you, but do yourself a favor and check it out soon. If you are familiar with the film, you'll probably remember this scene, where our three heroes take in the sights at the Art Institute of Chicago. Cameron Fry, the tall one sporting the Red Wings jersey, becomes entranced by a girl in the painting.



Maybe it's because Cameron is such a conflicted character, often lonely and unloved. Maybe it's because I wish I stood and drank in good things more often like these three do. Maybe it's just because this scene precedes a great impromptu song and dance number. For whatever reason, this painting and this part of the movie always struck me, and I can't help but feel emotions when I remember either.

No comments:

Post a Comment